What are BioGaia Drops used for?
- Biogaia Drops are a probiotic that helps promote a healthy, balanced digestive system when taken daily. Biogaia Drops have demonstrated beneficial effects on common digestive upsets such as diarrhoea, constipation, gas and bloating. Proven to assist with colic & reflux symptoms.
- What is the Active Ingredient in BioGaia Drops?
- 5 drops contain 100 million live active Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis (L. reuteri).
5 drops once per day until symptoms end. All in one go. Give the same time every day as makes it easier to remember to give them!
Shake well before using. To get the daily dosage, tip the bottle at an angle (around 45 degrees) and the drops will form slowly. The drops may be given on a spoon or dropped onto a nipple pre-feed. Do not add to hot food or drink as this may damage the live cultures. The drops do not change the taste of food or drink.
What are BioGaia Drops?
- BioGaia Drops contain L. reuteri , a patented probiotic bacteria. With its exceptional and documented health benefits in several areas, L. reuteri is considered a truly superior probiotic.
- Are BioGaia Drops safe?
- Safety studies with L. reuteri have been conducted in healthy newborns, small children, adults and immunodeficient adults over the past decade. In all these studies, L. reuteri have been proven to be free from side effects, even when given in doses greatly exceeding the levels normally contained in L. reuteri products. Over one billion daily doses of L. reuteri have been consumed all over the world since 1996, without any reported side effects.
- How long does it take to feel the effects of taking Biogaia Drops?
- Normally, you should notice the effects within a few days. While people who are healthy may not experience any differences, those taking L. reuteri because of a digestive system disturbance may notice an improvement in symptoms after 3-4 days. In some cases, it may take longer if the person is, for example, taking a medication affecting the digestive system.
- Shouldn’t BioGaia probiotic products contain a larger number of bacteria in a daily dose in order to be efficient?
- No, based on the results of clinical studies, the dose level of 100 million CFU/day has been chosen as a safe and efficient dose for Lactobacillus reuteri Protectis. The corresponding dose for Lactobacillus reuteri Prodentis is 200 million CFU/day
- Lactobacillus reuteri has proven to possess all the necessary qualities regarding efficacy and product shelf-life, without being combined with any other probiotic species.
- Why is the dose of Lactobacillus reuteri the same in adults and children? Shouldn’t it be higher in adults
- No, Lactobacillus reuteri is a living bacterium that grows in the digestive tract. The larger the tract, the more it grows to effectively colonize. It is not like a pharmaceutical where the distribution of the chemical substance depends on the body size since the substance cannot reproduce itself.
- Are BioGaia products free from gluten and dairy?
- BioGaia ProTectis drops
A barley source is used as a fermentation nutrient for the probiotic culture used in the product. However, analytical data from a certified laboratory has not revealed gluten in the drops. Labelling may vary from country to country, due to local regulation.
- BioGaia ProTectis chewable tablets The probiotic culture, which is used in the product, is fermented either on a skim milk or a barely based medium. Analytical data reveals lactose and gluten in the culture. However, in the finished product neither milk protein nor lactose are detectable, and the gluten level is below EU limit value for Gluten free products according to Regulation (EC) No. 41/2009 (<20 mg/kg). Labelling may vary from country to country, due to local regulation.
- BioGaia ProTectis drops
- What distinguishes BioGaia products from other probiotics on the market?
- Lactobacillus reuteri is one of very few probiotic species whose natural habitat is the digestive tract and it is therefore especially well adapted to thrive in this kind of environment. It is among the first bacterial species to become naturally established in the normal microflora of the newborn. Most other probiotic strains are only temporary or transient inhabitants of the gastrointestinal tract, derived from the intake of food.
- Lactobacillus reuteri is one of the most scientifically well-documented probiotics with regard to both efficacy and safety.
- Lactobacillus reuteri produces the antimicrobial substance reuterin, which inhibits the growth of several pathogenic microorganisms. At the same time, Lactobacillus reuteri supports the populations of other bacteria, which are part of the normal intestinal microflora.
- BioGaia is a guarantee of quality probiotic products formulated and packaged to ensure convenient administration and a stable shelf life of live bacteria cells for many months, also at ambient temperature.
- Do I need to take Lactobacillus reuteri every day?
- Yes, since the intestinal levels are depleted within about a week after discontinuing use. The resident microflora of an individual is relatively fixed and thereby highly resistant to the establishment of “newcomers”. Even an indigenous bacterium like Lactobacillus reuteri should be taken on a regular basis, since most people of modern society does not get colonized by Lactobacillus reuteri during infancy. By taking BioGaia probiotics you maintain a beneficial total daily supply of lactobacilli.
- Should BioGaia probiotic products be taken with or without food for maximum benefits?
- The conditions under which Lactobacillus reuteri is taken are not critical. Hypothetically, the elevated pH shortly after the intake of food might have a positive impact on the survival of Lactobacillus reuteri, but it is more important that Lactobacillus reuteri is taken on a regular daily basis and at a time of the day that is suitable for the patient/consumer.
- Should I refrain from combining BioGaia probiotic products with any specific medicines or drugs?
- No, these products are considered to be food and are comparable to yoghurt when it comes to safety. On the contrary, BioGaia probiotic products are very useful in combination with for example antibiotics. It helps reduce side-effects of the antibiotic.
- Is Lactobacillus reuteri growing in the product?
- No, it is in a dormant state (freeze-dried) and becomes activated / fully metabolically active when it comes in contact with the saliva. How quickly? Very quickly, by the time it reaches the stomach, it can attach and start colony growth. It does not need to be kept in the fridge as a result.
- TRUE or FALSE?
One course of probiotics is enough for beneficial bacteria to become established in the digestive tract.
- The answer is FALSE! Even though L. reuteri is found naturally in the human digestive tract, studies have shown that these bacteria are normally depleted 1-2 weeks after discontinuing use.
- Dispatch Notifications & usual delivery estimates.
Once you receive your Stripe purchase confirmation, your order will be dispatched via An Post at 10am. Otherwise it will go out in the next An Post collection. Once your order has been processed by An Post you will receive an email notification from An Post containing shipment information including the parcel number and tracking details. Additional postal volumes during holiday periods may impact delivery times across the country – 3 to 5+ working days has been reported. Remember no postage collections at the weekends. We ask for your patience should the need arise.